Monday, March 19, 2012

Upcoming world-wide famous conference in Szeged


Dear Readers!

This week an extremely important event is going to take place in Szeged from 23rd to 25th of March. Nine Nobel prize winners will visit Szeged to take part in a conference organized for the 75th anniversary of Szent-Györgyi Albert's Nobel prize award. The University of Szeged announced a competition for students to win the opportunity to introduce these Nobel prize awardees. These students are not only talented biology-fans but they also speak superb English. Out of the more than 70 contestants the strict adjudicators chose 9 students with the best English and conversational skills, style and neatness.


I have done my best to find one of these students and I have successfully come across Eszter Nógrádi, a student of Deák Ferenc Bilingual High School in Szeged, who will have the pleasure to introduce Eric Wieschaus in the conference series. I seized the opportunity to ask her a few questions just to tell us more about this palatial event. 


Editor: Where or from whom did you hear about the upcoming conference series?
Eszter Nógrádi: Actually my biology teacher recommended taking part in a competition called by the University of Szeged. I immediately wanted to participate in such a vast event, where I can meet these highly acknowledged and renowned people and shake hands with them. 


Editor: Why did you choose Eric Wieschaus? 
Eszter Nógrádi: I read all the autobiographies of the Nobel prize-winners and he was the one who was the most interesting to me. I really like genetics, the topic in which he does research, and I am also a great fan of arts and music so when I read his biography it wasn't a question for me anymore whom to choose.

 
 
Editor: Could you say just a few words about Eric Wieschaus? 
Eszter Nógrádi: Of course. He was born in Indiana just after World War II. As I said before he is also a great fan of arts, as a child he spent hours and hours by painting and drawing and doing artworks. He studied at Yale University, where he could work in a laboratory and could examine Drosophila - a kind of small fruit fly. He made enormous efforts to find key genes that were responsible for the development of a fruit fly egg into a segmented embryo. He received the Nobel prize in 1995 along with two other scientists in Physiology or Medicine.

Editor: Will there be any opportunity to talk to these scientists?
Eszter Nógrádi: Yes, those who were chosen to presents the scientist can have a small chat with them. The other two people for each scientist who were also selected from the rest of the applicants can place a question in the Open Forum, where all the visitors of the conference will be present.

Editor: Thank you for answering my questions and I wish you good luck in presenting Eric Wieschaus well.
Eszter Nógrádi: Thank you very much. :D
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment